Wednesday 15 October 2008

A day in the garden.......

My Chrysanthemums have at last flowered.....I bought these around two years ago........they are called Regal Cheryl....... I just couldn't resist them.......
The ivy has buds....when the flowers open they will be good for late flying insects.......
Mahonia charity flowers from late autumn to early spring.......I have several of these large shrubs in the garden........the fragrance is similar to lily-of-the-valley.......again they are useful for insects during the winter.....bees that have come out of hiberation due to mild weather will often be found on the blooms......

Poppi came today and spent some time with Nella......they have a lovely relationship....best buddies......


Poppi managed to find some alpine strawberries....her absolute favourite.........she always rumages through the plants in the hope she will find one or two.......



I think you can see by her face just how much she loves them........

She also managed to pick all these apples, washed them........then left them to dry .....these are for family............everyone loves these apples, they have a flavour all of their own.......

The weather has been dull today with outbreaks of rain....but it didn't stop us working in the garden......I have emptied several of the troughs on the decking and filled them with fresh soil....they are all planted up, ready for next year.........a good job done..........

Early yesterday morning I strolled by the grasses in one of the borders and a kingfisher flew right in front of me.....we have a river about a mile away, he must have come into the garden to have a look around......this is the first time he has visited......I was absolutely amazed.....a stunning bird, so exciting....... I seem to be getting a lot of unusual birds in the garden at the moment..........

Have fun in your space.......






19 comments:

Dawny P said...

Hi Cheryl. It sounds like you had a nice day. Poppi looks so sweet with Nella doesn't she - ahhh xxxx I agree re the Kingfisher - they have the most stunning plumage I think. That blue is just fabulous. I wonder if he will come back and let you take a picture of him? Take care and loads of love xxxxxx

beckie said...

The mums are a beautiful color and I don't blame you for not resisting them. With that name you just had to have them in your garden. Such sweet pictures of Poppi, her smile says it all. What a wonderful find for you. A kingfisher is such an beautiful bird. Sleek looking. You are always so busy-you amaze me.

Q said...

Dear Cheryl,
I adore seeing Poppi. She is charming. Please give her a hug from me.
Your gardens continue to provide for the birds, the bees, the butterflies and the people...her apples look delicious.
A Kingfisher!! WOW.
Thank you for sharing this day with Poppi with us.
Love and light,
Sherry

NCmountainwoman said...

A day in the garden is always lovely. What a great photo of Poppi with her strawberry. No doubt Nella was glad to have some company as well.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

That sweet Poppi and Nella. They make the most charming duo.

Birds are all migrating now. This time of year they are all restless.

marmee said...

good day cheryl,
i really enjoy the fact that we get to both spend some great days in the garden with our grandchildren. it's a joy to see poppi going around in yours picking and eating and helping you.
elle was with me today while i was on the tractor cutting grass following me around on a four wheeler(child size) she loves it.

your chrysanthemums are beautiful and it is very cool that it has your name on it. i love the fact that you have things planted to help the creatures in the colder months.

Pat said...

Really fun pictures of Poppi enjoying the fruit. Love the color of your mums. Most of the time mine don't come back. Must look up "kingfisher"...never heard of it.

Cheryl said...

Hi Dawny good to see you back blogging again....hope you are well......the kingfisher is beautiful....I amstill amazed it came to the garden.....

Cheryl said...

Hi Beckie.......I am not a great lover of mums but they do provide wonderful colour......

I love to be busy.....I am not one of lifes sitters......I thank God every day that I have health at the moment to do these things.....one never knows......

Hope u r a little better????

Cheryl said...

DEar Sherry....Poppi is a lovely child and it is good to share.....

the gardens are becoming more and more wildlife friendly...lots of work but so rewarding......it really was wonderful to see the kingfisher here.....amazing....

Beautiful moon.......

Ruth said...

Regal Cheryl...I like that...
The blooms are a lovely colour. We have many Kingfishers here but they are always by the water and are very hard to photograph. I do love watching them fish.

CIELO said...

Good morning pretty Cheryl.... I'm here to stroll that secretive quiet secret place in my garden with the small copse! I'd love to see the fence and the gate with padlock and the tall magestic trees and pretty flowers.... I know only you are allow to visit, but if you invite me I can come over, and we'll both can walk that garden and have a lovely morning.... Oh, by the way, say hi to Nella and Poppi for me, would you.... She is a lovely little angel giving to you by pure love.... Enjoy life, my friend.

Hugs

cielo

Libbys Blog said...

I to love this time of year although my garden has been sadly neglected this year!! Hopefully we will play catch up next year!! I love visiting your blog and wishing my garden looked as good as yours!!! You have a very beautiful granddaughter.

Baker Watson said...

Hi Cheryl,

I know you (and Nella) must love having Poppi visit so often.

I imagine that Kingfisher was a bit of a surprise. We have some that visit periodically, but I've never been able to get a decent photo of it. (Actually ours are belted kingfishers I believe. Similar to yours in size and habits but I believe yours may have more colour if I'm not mistaken.) I would really like to get a photo of one, but those times are so sudden and normally it is too far away.

Your autumn days appear so full of beauty and discovery. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Baker

Cheryl said...

HiMarmee......our lives do seem to be very similar.......I to do the tractor mowing usually with one of my grandchildren on my lap......how cute that elle follows you around on her four wheeler.....

Cheryl said...

I shall think about that stroll Cielo.......and who knows.....

I am indeed blessed with both my little grandchildren.......

Cheryl said...

Dear Baker....our kingfisher is stunningly beautiful....if you see one you never forget......they fly at such great speed, to get a photograph is so difficult......

Rose said...

Of course you couldn't resist a chrysanthemum with a name like that:) Looks like you had another wonderful day with Poppi, Cheryl. Sorry I didn't make it here yesterday; I've worked a couple days this week, then have spent some time with grandchildren, too. I know you understand...they take priority over blogging:)

Wendy said...

What a dear little girl is Poppi. She does look happy with her strawberries and apples, and Nella too! She must bring you joy.... grandchildren have a way of doing that.
Your mums are really a very pretty colour. Mine are almost finished now.
How lucky you are to have spotted that Kingfisher! I hope he will be back, so you can take his pic.
Happy gardening.