Wednesday 22 October 2008

Heavy frost............

Last night we had a really heavy frost.............the gunnera leaves have now turned brown....time to put some hay over her crown and then eventually the leaves will collapse and cover her for the winter.....no doubt some little creature will find shelter there to.......
seedheads were frosted.....my mind went back to the summer when the bumbles enjoyed the lilac blooms......now the goldfinch will enjoy the seeds..........

the grasses were frozen in time.........they really do add something special to a garden and make wonderful hiding places for insects........
the cardoon stands upright as if frozen............I wonder what is hiding in these large seedheads.............couldn't you just stand all day and think about the wonders of nature.....I could........


frosted grapes................wouldn't they just look perfect on an iced cake..........



but the star of the garden at the moment is this maple just outside the conservatory door.............the colours are beautiful................




every leaf was frozen this morning..............time had almost stood still.......

and then the sun slowly came up and started to warm the garden, tiny droplets appeared and made the garden look quite magical...........

It is going to be a lovely day...............

I know that some of you out there would like to know how I got on at the awards ceremony yesterday...............I had a wonderful time.....meeting children and adults all interested in the wildlife of Kent and doing their bit to help and support them.......It was so refreshing to talk to people as passionate as I am about working with nature and making a difference......I have invitations to visit other peoples space and to see how they work..............the Mayor of Tunbridge Wells presented the awards on behalf of the Kent Wildlife Trust and I am so pleased to tell you that I got a Gold Award for my garden and work with wildlife......I am also pleased to tell you that my blog was mentioned.......the afternoon ended with tea and cake (all homemade and absolutely yummy).........

I have lots to think about today.......there were short talks by the Kent Wildlife Trust and there are some things that were mentioned that I need to follow.............I am loving this journey and I know in my heart that it is going to take me where I have always wanted to be..........deep in the heart of Kent........with the wildlife that I love.........









25 comments:

ladyandthetramp said...

Oh Cheryl, we're so very pleased for you in winning your richly deserved Gold Award - and I know that all the creatures who benefit from the haven you provide for them would voice their congratulations and thanks too. What a wonderful journey you've embarked on
with our love
Lady and the Tramp

Cheryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl said...

Ladyandthetramp Thank you very much for your lovely comments....much appreciated.......

Rose said...

Congratulations, Cheryl! The committee couldn't have chosen a more deserving person. You and your garden may inspire others to follow in your footsteps--what a legacy you have created, Cheryl, for others to take more action to care for nature and wildlife.
I'm looking forward to seeing all those new trees:)

Your photos of the frost are beautiful; I don't think we have had one here yet...strange. I must go outside and look more carefully.

Q said...

Dear Cheryl,
Congratulations. The birds, the bees and the animals have a dear friend in you. When others see how beautiful natural living is perhaps they too will plant native and be oraganic. Your sanctuary is very beautiful. You have found the perfect balance of wild and cultivated. Being honored by The Kent Wildlife Trust is wonderful. Your gardens will be protected now. I am happy for you and the creatures that share your land. Mother Nature must be dancing with joy now that others also see your commitment to the earth.
Being around other like minded people must be exhilarating.
I was thinking about the Hedgehogs and how they eat the slugs...as long as slug pellets are not put out.
I love your pictures of the frost. As we look at each seed head and realize it could be the home of a tiny spider or food for the birds we understand our role in the gardens better. It is not for us to cut and burn it is for us to honor and respect.
Thank you for your respectful ways.
Love and light,
Sherry

NCmountainwoman said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! All that and cake too.

Marimoy said...

You got the GOLD!?!?!? I am so excited for you. You and your amazing garden absolutely deserve it.

Morning Glories in Round Rock said...

Oh Cheryl! How very exciting to get the gold! You sound positively inspired by the talks, and I hope that you will share your journey with us. We all need a bit of inspiration once in awhile. Congratulations!

Cheryl said...

Dear Rose.....Tku.....I am honoured that they thought the garden was worthy....but the best part for me was talking to the young children there....they had such a rapport with nature......we need our children to look after the land as it was many years ago.....things are changing here in the UK, I am glad to be part of that change.......

Cheryl said...

Dear Sherry.....you are so right, it is about honour and respect.....I know you and I have the same thoughts on these things.....each creature is here for a reason, we are all part of the larger picture.......

Most of what I do is not only for me but my grandchildren.....what we do now, we leave for them.........

Gardening organically is a joy....to know this is a safe haven for the wildlife is a joy.......

tku for your lovely comments, they mean a great deal........

beckie said...

Cheryl, how thrilling! To have your efforts recognized, to find others who share your passions and goals, is truly wonderful. I hope all of you continue your work to protect nature and by doing so inspire yet others to follow your example.

No frost here yet, but soon. Your photos capture the beauty of autumn. I love the tree. A start indeed!

Graceanne Grateful said...

Congratulations, Cheryl. You certainly deserve the gold award for your wonderful work. It is so wonderful to know people like you who also want to preserve nature and wildlife.
God bless you with many blessings,
GraceAnne

Cheryl said...

Tku Beckie....I had such a lovely time....it was worth it just to be amongst people who care about the wildlife of Kent......

It was really cold this morning but we have had a bright sunny day.......

Hope you are feeling better

ChrisND said...

Great to hear about the ceremony and all the networking of like minded people!

It's interesting to see that all the seed heads will feed birds and shelter insects as well as give fall and winter interest. We haven't quite gotten that heavy frost yet and the rain will probably hold it off a bit longer....Oh, and I love frozen grapes!

Anonymous said...

Absolutly `Delighted` for you Cheryl...
You are such a wonderful person and truly are deserving of this.So glad you had a lovely Day:)
`Thankyou` for sharing it with us!!!
That tree looks `Spectacular`...
Have a lovely Evening:)~X~

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Hi Cheryl, your maple tree is showing the gold for you. Congratulations on the award and recognition for all your hard work.

I just love your frost pictures. The first few frosts are always so pretty. We have not had any frost yet. The weathermen say it will be soon upon us. I was actually out watering this evening. It was cool but the poor hydrangeas were so pitaful looking I had to give them some water.

Again, Congrats and keep up the good works.

Wendy said...

Oh Cheryl, I am sooooooooo pleased for you!! I knew you would win Gold - what an honour and you really deserve it. Yippeeeeeee!

Your frost pics are luscious, especially the frozen grapes. When I saw your maple tree, for an instant I thought it was one of mine!

Lots of hugs and blessings on your journey. May you find your heart's desire (I think you already have).
Love and Light

marmee said...

congratulations on the gold award, i knew you were going to get the gold. it is great to do what you are so passionate about and love doing. it will be great to you get your reward of the new trees to plant too.
i love all the frosted pictures in your garden. it is the end of a season of blooming and a whole nother season of frost, ice, cold. i like the begining and the ending of seasons. it brings change and newness.

Cheryl said...

Thank you Lisa, The maple showing gold.....lovely thought.....

Hi Wendy.....tku.............the maple is a lovely tree, they are amongst my list of favourites.....

Hi Marmee.....I to like the beginning and end of season.....a magical time for us all......

Tricia Ryder said...

Many congratulations Cheryl - it's not only Olympiads who get Gold :) although you and your garden would certainly qualify!

I love maples; have a few acers in my "patch" too.

And a frost!! Winter's definitely on its way.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Haven't had any frosts yet. Love the pics of your garden, it does indeed look magical.

Congrats on winning a gold award, well done and so richly deserved.

Haven't had much time to blog lately now that little Tara is here. :-)

naturewitch said...

Oh Cheryl, what fantastic news!!! I'm so glad you received a gold award - you thoroughly deserve it! And what a lovely network of like-minded people you'll have. Thrilled for you.

Those lovely gold leaves in your photos have extra significance now. They are like your little badges of honour. xx

SweetAnnee said...

Hi Cheryl..stop by my Nestle blog
I have an award for you
smiles, deena

SweetAnnee said...

please stop by my nestle blog..
something there for you!!

Good Acres said...

Love the first photo of the butterfly! Great shot. Cheers. -- Good Acres