Sunday 13 January 2008

Blackberries and Butterflies


Another wet and gloomy day here. Yesterday was good though so decided to give the shed a good tidy up. I am terrible for just putting things in and closing the door. Then a few weeks down the line it looks like a bomb has hit it. This is another one of last years photos. I have a lot of brambles in the hedgerows here. How can people dislike them when you get a shot like this? They are fantastic for all sorts of wilelife. The butterflies love the flowers, like the meadow brown. The thorny structure of the shrub enables hedgehogs, mice, weasels etc to travel through the hedge without getting attacked by cats, foxes and the terrible Nella. Of course the fruits are loved by blackbirds, thrushes, to name but two. Then there is me, the crumble lover. Apples from my tree, blackberries from the hedgerow and my oat topping, yum. Just one bush and everyone is satisfied, what an addition to a wildlife garden.

No comments: